Monday, August 25, 2008

Going Beyond with Priscilla Shirer...

This past weekend I had an amazing opportunity to go to the "Going Beyond" women's conference with Priscilla Shirer with some ladies from church. It was such a wonderful learning and growing experience. For those who have never seen her before in person, you have to go if given the opportunity. She is a dynamic speaker who is "real" and relateable (is that a word?). She is a parallel kind of speaker. She makes the Bible come to life in a very practical way that you can relate to presently in your life. When she teaches, you can see a parallel in your life to what she is focusing on in the Word (it was Moses leading his people from Egypt to the Promised Land of Caanan this past weekend). Wow. I loved it! I love it when God gives me those "light bulb" moments. I almost have to laugh out loud because it is like I could sense God tangibly teaching me. It's so amazing that He loves me so much that He'd give me that special time of learning and growing.
First, let me say that Priscilla is a firm believer that we DO NOT need "the next Bible study" to grow in the Lord. We have all we need in the Bible. She spoke on and gave specific direction and detailed guidance for "quiet times" or as she coined it "Soul Stirring Conversations with God". This was huge for me!! I needed this simple direction of having a genuine quiet time. So often, I'll think I'll have to open the Bible and read chapters and pray for lengthy times. There are so many factors (that I made) involved that I'd get overwhelmed...what book do I read from?...how much should I read?...do I pray before or after I read the Bible?...should I do it first thing in the morning?...if I don't do it first thing in the morning, I feel as though I blew it so just forget it...(I'm an all or nothing kind of girl). Who doesn't want to REALLY hear from God...it is something I truly desire, but unfortunately not always the reality in my day to day life. I really would try do these things at times and just be doing a quiet time to check it off of my list (if I did one at all). WELL...I don't have any excuses any more. Priscilla laid out a very simple 5 step plan to having conversation with God in a "real" way. Let me share................
1) POSITION yourself to hear from God (alone and quiet place) Habakkuk 2:1 & Psalm 27:14
PICK out 1 or 2 verses ( or more according to whatever time you have) from whatever book of the Bible that interests you.

2) POUR over (read) the verse/s and then PARAPHRASE the major points in YOUR own words (in a spiral notebook/journal/whatever). List the points. James 1:25; Joshua 1:8.
(Tips for Paraphrasing: ask WHO are the major participants...WHAT are they doing/saying?...WHERE are they going?...WHAT is the happening?....WHEN is this occurring?)

3) PULL OUT the spiritual principles from your paraphrasing (write them down). Then, CLOSE THE BIBLE! (This part was freeing for me in some ways. You have in front of you what you need if you've done step 1 & 2).

4) POSE a question TO YOURSELF based on the spiritual principle that you've seen in the verse/s. Ask yourself...am I doing that spiritual principle? Do I let Him... Do I desire... Is that spiritual principle evident in MY life?...You can go on and on depending on what the verse/s are about.

5) PLAN obedience and PIN DOWN a date to do it! James 1:22; Jeremiah 7:23
It's like drawing a conclusion from the questions you asked yourself and then the Holy Spirit WILL convict/draw/make clear those things that you need to change to be more like Jesus.

You'll find in doing all of these steps that you ARE having a genuine dialogue with the Holy Spirit of God and fulfilling the very purpose of a quiet time that is "real" and not forced.

Pretty great stuff (for me anyways). Just wanted to share with anyone who might struggle in the same areas of genuine quiet times with the Lord.

She shared these points to those at the conference, but there is a Bible study of hers that is based on this very way to study the Bible for yourself called "Can We Talk? Soul Stirring Conversations with God by Priscilla Shirer".

4 comments:

MADDIE said...

Awesome stuff right there. It is so amazing how simply it can be, yet we often make it so hard!! I have been enjoying this devotion Cassie let me borrow for awhile. It is just really simple and short, yet often speaks volumes. It probably takes me about 2 minutes to read, but often affects my attitude the entire day. Love you!

MADDIE said...

I meant simple.

Melissa said...

WOW, I love it, so freeing to read those little five points, put them in my brain and move forward with the energy (not overwhelmed) to spend time in the Word. Thank you for sharing.

Melissa said...

I just LOVE the picture of the four of you laughing...so sweet.